Did you know that August is National Golf Month? With August being the official month for celebrating one of our favorite sports, we thought it was high time to talk about the many great golf courses that are near Sandbrock Ranch. We’re especially excited about the new PGA headquarters in Frisco, Texas opening just 15 minutes away! That’s so close you could almost drive your golf cart there!
Let’s say that again:
New PGA Headquarters Opens in Frisco!
It’s true! For years, the headquarters of the Professional Golfers’ Association of America has been located in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. In 2018, however, the PGA announced a relocation to Frisco, Texas, which is just down the road from us here at Sandbrock Ranch! The new PGA headquarters in Frisco features 660 acres of mixed-use development that will play host to some 26 PGA Championships over the next few years, not to mention places to shop, eat, and, of course, play golf.
It goes without saying that this is big news for our neighbors in Frisco, but they’re no strangers to major sports organizations. Indeed, the PGA headquarters joins six other major professional sports organizations that call Frisco home, including the Dallas Cowboys, FC Dallas, and the National Soccer Hall of Fame, to name a few. But we’re here to talk about golf today!
Just a few steps from the new PGA headquarters in Frisco, you’ll soon find the Omni PGA Frisco Resort, set to open its doors in the spring of 2023. With 500 guest rooms, 10 four-bedroom ranch houses, two championship 18-hole golf courses, a spa, a retail village, and numerous dining options, this new resort will feature everything you could ask for in a vacation destination for local and out-of-state guests, all within putting distance of some of the world’s best golf courses. After all, who would know golf better than the PGA?
That’s something to keep your eye on for next spring, especially if you’ve been hoping to encourage some of your out-of-state golfing friends to make the trek down to Texas for a little golf vacation. In the meantime, though, let’s talk National Golf Month.
Ways to Celebrate National Golf Month in August
- Go golfing. This is an easy one! A regular golfing trip may not feel quite celebratory enough, though, especially if you’re a dedicated golfer who hits the links regularly. Why not switch it up a bit by trying out some new golf courses that you’ve been itching to visit?
- Take someone golfing. This is almost as easy as item number one! National Golf Month is the perfect excuse to take a friend, business associate, neighbor, or family member out on the course.
- Introduce someone new to golf. We can’t think of a better way to celebrate golf! Introducing someone new to the game, walking them through the basics, and getting them interested in golf as a sport or leisure activity is the perfect way to celebrate National Golf Month!
- Take a lesson. Sure, you may have been playing golf for quite some time, and you may feel confident in your abilities, but you can always learn something new. Don’t shy away from an opportunity to improve your skills and your game by signing up for a one-on-one lesson from a master.
- Give all your golf equipment much-needed cleaning and maintenance. Your golf equipment is a major investment, and keeping it in tip-top shape helps you to stay at the top of your game. Even if you can’t hit the course this month, why not give some attention to your clubs, your bags, and your cart?
A Few Local Golf Courses to Try in August:
As we mentioned, National Golf Month is a perfect time to try out a new course. Maybe you already have a favorite (or two or three) in the area, but odds are there are still some great ones that you haven’t visited yet—especially with so many courses right near Sandbrock Ranch. Here are five of our favorites in the region:
WESTRIDGE GOLF COURSE
9055 Cotton Ridge North Road, McKinney, TX 75070
PLANTATION GOLF CLUB
4701 Plantation Lane, Frisco, TX 75035
TIMBERLINKS GOLF CLUB
5201 Par Drive, Denton, TX 76208
WILDHORSE GOLF CLUB
9400 Ed Robson Boulevard A, Denton, TX 76207
STEWART PENINSULA GOLF COURSE
100 Cottonwood Springs Drive #4619, The Colony, TX 75056
Whether you’re a longtime linksman or a first-time putter, you’ll enjoy so many benefits that come with the game of golf! It’s a great, low-impact way to get in shape while enjoying the beauty of the Texas landscape and the fresh air of the great outdoors. It lets you build character, strengthen relationships, and have a great time while relaxing and taking your mind off your worries. You can golf alone, with friends, as part of a work event, or with the whole family! There’s no better time to explore the many benefits of golf than during National Golf Month this August.
We have just one caveat: Whether you’re playing on your favorite course or a brand new one, don’t forget that it is still August, so you’ll want to be sure to stay hydrated and always apply plenty of sunscreen before you head out.
Like many Texans, we love golf here at Sandbrock Ranch. It’s part of our commitment to living an active lifestyle. That’s why our master-planned community is home to more than six miles of nature paths for hiking, biking, and walking. We’re located close to plenty of great golf courses, and we’re just 15 minutes from the new PGA headquarters in Frisco, Texas! Whether it’s National Golf Month or any other month of the year, you can find whatever you like to do to stay active, be healthy, and “Live True” right here at Sandbrock Ranch!